iPhone 5C Teardown in Detail
When removing the SIMM card (which is also done during testing), you should see a little white sticker in the slot. If it is pink or red, that would indicate water damage.
- Shut Off Phone
The first step to removing the required components of course is to shut off the phone. If the digitizer is not working, then you can shut down the phone by pressing the Home and Power button simultaneously and the phone will shut down. Then remove the two Pentalobe screws that are next to the dock port.
- Testing the Phone
Testing the phone should be done same as with the iPhone 4
- Battery charging test
- Digitizer working (Move an icon around display)
- Proximity sensor working (put fingers over sensor. Screen should go dark)
- All video
- All audio
New to this procedure is that the display will disconnect, by using the Sclack tool or by using a suction cup.
Once you have lifted the cover, gently grab the cover and using the plastic smudger, lift the cover out, but should be lifted only about 30 degrees up, as there are still components that need to be disconnected from the logic board.
Note that the logic board need not be disconnected.
- Removing the Battery
- This is also standard procedure, but the manner in which the battery is removed is done differently. There are two top silver plates covering the battery connector, connected by three screws, but only the bottom plate needs to be removed in order to get to the battery connector. Remove the two screws securing the bottom metal battery plate. Use a plastic opening tool to gently pry the battery connector up from its socket off the logic board.
- Remove the EMI Shield
There is a plate that covers the front camera, the LCD cable and the digitizer connector cables. This is called the retaining EMI shield plate.
The EMI shield is located at the top right of the phone.
Note: One of the screws tends to not be attracted to a magnetized screwdriver. Take care not to lose it when removing, and make sure it gets back into the right place—a magnetized screw may interfere with the compass.
There are four screws that hold the plate. The screw on the upper right corner tends to not be attracted to a magnetized screwdriver and this is because it is near the compos, so by making it non magnetic will not interfere with the compass and its components. This is also the longest screw of the four and this screw must be placed right back in the same location. Once this is done, the front panel assembly cover can be removed.
Under this plate are the front camera connector cable, the LCD cable and the digitizer cable. ALL CONNECTED TO THE REAR COVER. But the digitizer cable is not visible until the Camera cable and the LCD cable is first removed.
Once the plate is removed, you will see the three components that need to be removed.
Digitizer connector will be visible after the front camera cable is removed.
III. Identifying Components from the Old Display Cover and Place on the New Display Cover
The following components need to be taken off the old display:
- At the Top:
- Ear Speaker
- Ear Speaker Bracket
- Front Facing Camera Cable
- ONLY ON IPHONE 5 BLACK SCREENS. Ambient light filter (ambient light is the light that is reflected on to the phone within the environment it is in). This piece is immediately placed onto the new screen cover, so as not to lose it.
- At the Bottom:
- Home Button Flex Cable
- Home Button Bracket
- Thermal Plate
IV: Display Component Disassembly
- On Top of Phone
- Ear Speaker Silver Bracket
- Ear Speaker
- Ear Speaker Retaining Plate
- Remove the ear speaker cable, ambient light sensor, proximity cable, upper microphone and connections for the ear speaker. All are part of one main cable that comes off the display.
Note: There are three very small components that must come off. They are the black plastic cover over the ear speaker, the rubber boot gasket, just under the ear speaker that covers the light sensor and, FOR BLACK SCREENS ONLY, the silver filter over the light sensor (after the rubber boot is removed).
- Remove the black ear speaker cover
- Remove the
- FOR BLACK SCREENS ONLY: Remove the silver filter by using a flat head screwdriver and slightly twisting. Immediately place onto the new display.
- Remove the transparent front facing camera ring that is located over the camera.
The proximity sensor cable is attached to the ear speaker gold adhesive (2) covers. Once you lift up the adhesive backings, the whole component set (proximity sensor, gold adhesive covers and camera) will pop up.
There is a black rubber boot that tends to fall off the ambient light sensor. If so, just place it aside for now.
Now, remove the whole assembly from the back plate by pulling off the microphone (the small gold box) from the cover.
- Bottom of Phone
- Remove the home button bracket and cable (connected together)
Note: There are two yellow adhesive stickers that come off that allow the the bracket and cable to be removed. Carefully remove these adhesive stickers.
- Remove the home button by pushing the underside of the button outward. Immediately place onto the new display.
- Remove Thermal Plate
There are six screws connecting the thermal plate
- Unscrew and remove thermal plate
- Remove plastic cover from new thermal plate
- Immediately place onto the new display