Twitter is a website that allows you to read and respond to people’s comments (called Tweets). The length of the tweet is very short (140 characters). You can write about any subject that interests you and you build followers who are interested in what you have to say. Similarly, you can follow other people who you might be interested in following.
To create an account in Twitter, please follow these simple steps:
- Go to http://twitter.com and find the sign up box.
- Enter your full name, email address, and a password.
- Click Sign up for Twitter.
- On the next page, you can select a username (usernames are unique identifiers on Twitter and are preceded by an ‘@’ e.g. @apple) Create your own or choose one suggested by Twitter.
- Click Create my account.
- Twitter will send a confirmation email to the address entered. Click the link in that email to confirm your email address and account.
How to Use Twitter
- Once you log in, Twitter will ask you who you would like to follow and give you suggestions. You can pick from a variety of categories that you are intestested in and when the people from those categories tweet a message, it will show up on your page (called feed).
- Once you have added the people or organizations you will be following, click Home at the top left (if you are not already there).
- On the Home page, you will see a box that states “Compose New Tweets”. Enter you message here. (Please remember, Twitter only accepts 140 characters maximum).
- Then click Tweet.
- To read and respond to a tweet, click the arrow that is pointing to the left (hovering over it will show the word ‘Reply’) at the bottom left of the box.
- To retweet (meaning, where it will be sent to all your followers), click the double arrows to the right of the respond arrow. You can type a message about the retweet at the top or just retweet that message.
To visit someone’s else’s page or follow them, just type their Twitter handle in the search box e.g. @apple.
Then click the blue box on the right that says ‘Follow’.